Promateris SA is a Romanian company with more than 60 years of experience in plastics processing. The company offers sustainable alternatives to single-use, disposable plastic packaging. Promateris teamed up with a Norwegian partner – BioBag Norge – to implement a project under the EEA and Norway Grants Programme SMEs Growth in Romania. The project is producing plant based packaging - 100% biodegradable and compostable.
Bio-based and compostable packaging
The projects allows for Promateris to green its production, reduce energy consumption, reduce fuel consumption and improve material efficiency. It also integrates local agricultural chains for bio-based and compostable packaging. This will reduce the carbon footprint and strengthen the local circular economy. Romania is also a key producers of agricultural outputs within the EU, and Promateris aims to encourage the development of a strong local bioeconomy and an efficient use of natural resources in Europe.
The project will produce four new products: compostable mulching film, compostable hygiene film (lining for pads and diapers), ultralight produce bags (fruit and vegetables) and marine biodegradable film using biodegradable materials, instead of classical plastic material.
The Norwegian partner BioBag Norge will share its competence and know-how on developing biodegradable and compostable products. Prodplast will be in charge of producing these goods, under the knowledge and competence of BBIAS. The partners will share the Intellectual Property Rights for the products they are developing within the project.
Responding to demands for green production
There are increasingly legislative measures that encourage the development and use of biodegradable, compostable and biodegradable products. There is also increasing demand for eco-friendly materials. Biodegradable, compostable and marine biodegradable products are appealing for consumers interested in sustainability and environment protection. Consumers are concerned especially about food waste, carbon emissions, packaging waste, marine pollution and plastic pollution.
Results of the project
- 10 new employees (more than 10% increase)
- Increase of turnover up to 26.553.226 EUR by the end of 2021
- Increase of profit up to 2.201.551 EUR by the end of 2021
- Registering at least one brand of marine biodegradable products
- 100% recycling and reusing technological waste (70 tonnes/years)
- reduced annual fuel consumption with 4800 liters
- Reduction of electricity used by 58% (971 MW) for1400MT - intended yearly production
- Reducing the used raw materials with 10% (155 tonnes)
- de-fossilisation of production by replacing 1400 MT of low-density polyethylene compounds with 100% compostable and biodegradable ones
The SMEs Growth Programme in Romania
The project is supported by Norway through the Norway Grants. See more opportunities under the SMEs Growth Programme in Romania.
Follow the EEA and Norway Grants by Innovation Norway on Facebook or on LinkedIn to stay updated.