The objective is to explore opportunities for further cooperation in education, research, innovation and new business development. South Africa and Norway have developed close ties over many years, and an era of cooperation in higher education and research has prevailed since the 1990’s.
You are cordially invited to join us for an exciting week in Pretoria and Cape Town on 4-8 December! A series of events will provide opportunities to network with relevant stakeholders and potential partners for further cooperation and business development. For Norwegian companies, South Africa is an economic powerhouse with a well-developed infrastructure and persistent growth, and an effective gateway into other markets on the African continent.
Ocean space and the blue economy is a strategic priority for both countries, providing a fertile basis for joint research, innovation, business and job creation. Annual high-level consultations between South Africa and Norway focus on areas of common economic and political interest – including the SANCOOP-program for research on climate change, environment and renewable energy – and Operation Phakisa, aiming to fast-track solutions on critical development issues in South Africa.
The agenda for the first week of December 2017 includes:
- Monday-Tuesday 4-5 December, In Pretoria offer the concluding conference for SANCOOP, with presentations of leading-edge research results.
- Tuesday 5 December, you are invited to Southern Atlantic Ocean and Antarctica Seminar in Cape Town.
- Wednesday 6 December in Pretoria focuses on Green Maritime - Sustainable use of the Ocean, the main theme of Science Week 2017, in four consecutive sessions.
- Thursday-Friday 7-8 December, South Africa’s Department of Science and Technology (www.dst.gov.za) will host Science Forum South Africa 2017 at CSIR (www.csiricc.co.za) in Pretoria. This is a major, annual event on the African continent and an effective meeting place for extending your network. More information and registration at www.sfsa.co.za.
- Friday 8 December, In Pretoria, Team Norway Parallel Session on Women in Science and Innovation. More information and registration at www.sfsa.co.za
South Africa - Norway Science Week 2017 is funded and organized by Team Norway – The Norwegian Research Council, Innovation Norway, Norwegian Centre for International Cooperation in Education and the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Pretoria – in close cooperation with our long-standing partners in South Africa.
We look forward to seeing you in Pretoria and Cape Town in December!